Flies are nothing less than a menace. Not only do they try to alight on any food we take out of our picnic basket, but they also invade our homes right through the summer months. However, we at Forensic Pest Services believe it doesn’t really have to be that way. While it’s a good idea to call for pest control services when any infestation gets out of hand, there are some basic precautions you can take to keep flies away from your home. Here is a list of things you can do:
- Eliminate Food Sources – Uncovered trash cans or dirty dishes in the sink, open pet food bowls and compost bins are all sources of food for flies. This is why you should methodically walk through your home and ensure that all these sources are shut down for flies.
- Clean-up after your pet – Flies are fast breeders and a female fly can easily lay between 75 and 150 eggs at one time; the point to note is that these eggs are typically laid on poop. It doesn’t take more than 24 hours for these eggs to hatch and so it shouldn’t really surprise you to see 150 flies overnight. It’s important that you scoop-up after your pet every single day and ensure its cage is clean. This will deter flies from turning your yard into a breeding ground.
- Identify how they’re entering your home – You can’t really prevent files from getting into your home when you open and close doors. However, if you notice that there are just too many files in the indoor spaces of your home, you need to identify how they’re finding their way in:
- If you have window screens installed, check them all for snags and tears and repair/replace the ones that are damaged
- Check all the caulking around doors and windows and if you find any of it peeling or chipping, replace it without delay
- Inspect all the weather stripping around the doors and replace or adjust them as required
- Place fly paper around the house – You can use fly paper to trap the flies in your home and see how they flock to it. It’s not really a pretty sight, though it’s extremely effective in trapping these insects.
- Plant magic – Flies detest lemongrass, basil, mint, tansy or lavender. These can be used as foundation plantings all around your house. Alternatively, you can also stick them into flower pots that are placed by the back and front doors. Tansy and mint are invasive and it’s a good idea to grow them in pots.
DIY fly repellent spray
You can make fly repellent sprays with clove, mint, lemongrass, lavender and basil essential oil. Just add a few drops of essential oil to a spray bottle filled with water and use this solution to spray all around the doorways. Ensure that you label this repellent and keep it out of reach of kids and pets.
If your home has a very severe flies infestation, call us without delay. We at Forensic Pest Control provide excellent, customised residential and commercial pest control solutions. For any additional details, the number to call is -1300 360 457. This online form can be used to send across queries.