Unfortunately rats and mice can be found everywhere – in every city and in every country town and it is estimated there is one rat for every person living in Australia! It is for this reason that good rat control in Sydney is a must. Rats and mice have no respect and it doesn’t matter where you live or how big or small your home is, food is food to them. Rats were first introduced to Australia back in the late 1700’s arriving here on the convict ships with the first settlers.
In Australia there are 3 introduced rodents
- House Mouse
- Roof Rat
- Norway Rat
In general rats and mice have been so linked to man they have been considered *domestic* as (unfortunately) we do provide them with water, food and shelter – even if we don’t intend to. Rat control in Sydney from Forensic Pest Control is important as rodents are a threat to our well being
- They can start fires by chewing through electrical wires
- They can damage the structure of your house – even your books and furniture by gnawing and burrowing
- They spread diseases to humans and other animals through their bites. They transport lice, fleas, ticks and mites and leave their droppings in food and other items humans come in contact with
- Mice have been linked with asthma
- They eat a LOT of food and contaminate food with their droppings, hair and urine
- Rats spread the bubonic plague
Rats and mice are mostly active at night and are rarely seen during the day – they can crawl through very small gaps and spaces, so it’s hard to confine them to an area. If you can’t see them during the day you may hear them of a night and if your pet paws at a cabinet or a wall it may be after a rat or mouse lurking about. Despite what you think cats and dogs won’t actually deter rodents!