Preventive Commercial Pest Control for Stored Product Insects
Businesses that deal in stored food products, need to ensure that these products are protected from moisture, exposure to the elements as well as pests. However, pest infestations are some of the commonest problems that these businesses have to deal with. There are a number of different types of pests that can infest stored food products such as beetles, weevils, food moths, and mites.
We at Forensic Pest Control have seen how these seemingly tiny insects can live and breed in different types of stored food products, causing extensive damage to it. Adult weevils and beetles can easily fly and find new breeding sites. This means, even when you have segregated areas for different food products in your warehouse, there’s always a risk of those products getting interested with pests as well.
Foods That Stored Product Insects Feed On
Stored product insects can easily infest any organic products, as well as dried and preserved foods, including:
- Nuts and cereals
- Grains and preserved meats
- Pasta and cheeses
- Leather and
Food pests are categorised based on the animal and plant products they live and breed in. Some pests aren’t exclusive to certain food types and will appear in more than just one category.
Signs That You Have a Stored Food Pest Infestation
Some of the common signs of stored product pest infestations include:
- The products show clear signs of damage– The Grains, nuts, and seeds have minute boreholes.
- Dead or live insects inside the food– Silken webbing, pupae, frass, larvae or eggs in the packaging or food itself.
- Food spillages- These contain silken webbing larvae, pupae or adult insects.
- Holes in the packaging- These may be very minute and you may also notice webbing or larvae on the outside of bags or packets.
- Infestation on shelves and cupboards- These areas or the machinery in the unit has larvae, silken webbing, frass, pupae or adults.
- Window sills or beams- These features in the storage unit have silken webbing, pupae or larvae.
- Insects in traps- You find stored product insects caught in the electric fly devices or insect traps.
- Machinery- You notice silken webbing, pupae, and adults in hidden spaces and crevices
How to Prevent Stored Food Pest Infestations
While it’s always a good idea to opt for professional, commercial pest control from experts like us, there are also some steps you can take to deter pests from infesting food products in your storage facility such as:
- It is crucial to conduct a detailed inspection of all the storage areas as well as the products, to identify infestations as early as possible.
- Conduct a detailed examination of all the deliveries as soon as they arrive.
- Conduct regular checks and inspections on food that is already in storage in your warehouse.
- Ensure that the suppliers as well as transport or shipping agent have a methodical process of inspection and monitoring in place.
- Get regular preventive commercial pest control treatments done on your property and the surrounding areas