Flea infestations can crop up in homes with pets in them; at times even homes that have been vacant for some time may have fleas because the previous owners had pets. These creatures are quite resilient and hardy and it’s not easy to get rid of them once they have infested your home.
Your pet can easily pick up fleas from other pets they come into contact with, or from the outdoors as well. Regardless of whether you are planning on handling flea control yourself or are considering hiring the services of a professional pest control company like Forensic Pest Control for the job, it’s important that the indoor and outdoor areas of your home be treated simultaneously. Even when you call in a professional for the job, there are certain steps you would need to take to prepare for the service such as:
Prior to the service
- Wash all your pet’s bedding in a hot wash or just discard it.
- Carefully vacuum the carpets
- Mop and clean floors and clean the closets and walls as well
- Vacuum or clean furniture, paying special attention to areas under the cushions and between them
- Once you are done vacuuming, seal the vacuum cleaner bag and dispose of it in a trash can outside your home.
- If you are using a vacuum cleaner with reusable bag, empty out its contents into a trash can outside your home and then wash it thoroughly in hot water
- If you have a fish tank, cover it with a wet towel and turn-off the pump until you return
- Clear all toys and other items off the floor
- Remove all the clutter from under the beds and inside closets as well
- Strip all the bed linens and wash it in hot water.
- If you have any caged pets, move them to another location until after the area has been treated
- Store all food products, utensils and dishes in cabinets before the technicians come in for the service
- The yard areas should also be kept clear for the treatment
Post the service
- Do not open up the house or come back to it or 3-5 hours post the service. That’s the amount of time it takes for the insecticide to dry completely and be effective.
- Air all the rooms out carefully before you move into the house again.
- To give this treatment sufficient time to work, don’t clean carpets or flooring for at least 2 weeks post the treatment.
- The professionals will also likely request you to turn off the HVAC system while rendering the treatment and you can switch it back on once all the spaces have been cleaned.
If you have noticed any signs of fleas in your home, call us without delay. We also conduct detailed follow up inspections and can address any new infestations that may have erupted over time. For all types of pest control solutions, call Forensic Pest Control on -1300 360 457. This online form can be used to send across queries.