Silverfish are running-insects that have now become very common inhabitants of commercial and residential structures across Sydney. These pests are often found in damp and dark, sheltered areas around your home or commercial property. They are generally silvery-grey in colour and less than 20mm in length.
You will generally find silverfish in undisturbed areas (storage rooms and bookcases), where they might cause damage to fabrics, paper, and other materials. These insects also shun light and it’s why you will notice their presence only at night. Their inability to climb any smooth surfaces often results in them becoming trapped in basins and bathtubs. We at Forensic Pest Control provide customised silverfish control solutions to both commercial and residential customers.
The harm that silverfish cause
These pests race to safety when disturbed and will find refuge in crevices and cracks in different areas of your property. A silverfish infestation can affect you in a number of ways such as:
- They typically hide in the day and forage for food after dark which makes it difficult to spot them. This means the infestation can spread to enormous proportions even before you realise a problem exists.
- They build nests very close to the food supplies and can infect it.
- These creatures also damage books, papers, foods, and clothing as well as wallpaper.
- They will happily feed on silk, starchy foods, glue, silk and book bindings, causing extensive damage to valuable items.
- Silverfish also form very small holes in these materials which results in the appearance of yellow stains.
- They live in the plumbing and linen piles and may damage them.
- Discarded silverfish skin causes allergic reactions in human beings.
- Some people also suffer from asthma from exposure to a silverfish infestation.
- Silverfish can scale ceilings walls and have a lifespan of up to eight years; this can make it very difficult to eliminate a silverfish infestation.
- They also become a source of food for other pests such as cockroaches and spiders, which then spread a range of other harmful diseases.
- Silverfish destroy cereals and food grains and can easily breed inside sealed packages as well.
Why hire professionals for silverfish control?
As mentioned earlier, these pests generally live and breed in cool and damp areas, very close to their main food sources and prefer. However, they also have the ability to survive without food for several months. It’s extremely difficult to eliminate these pests and they breed at a steady pace. DIY efforts of silverfish control are generally futile and its best to call in experts like the ones at Forensic Pest Control for the job.
In addition to silverfish infestations, we also provide pest control treatments for cockroaches, flies, mosquitoes, termites, wasps, bees and more. We use effective yet non-toxic pest control products and provide guarantees for our work. For cost-effective, efficient and professional rodent control solutions, contact us today. For more information call Forensic Pest Control at 1300 360 457. This online form can be used to send queries and we will call back shortly.